I really enjoy television and cinema. As much as I adore reading, there's just something about visual dramatizations that is really gripping. Sure I can imagine things in my head, but it's also nice to actually see the emotions and action and interpersonal dynamics. What I do have a problem with is bad TV... Maybe that's mean, so let me rephrase. I do not enjoy watching reality shows that bear little to no resemblance to the actual reality of 99% of the population, or very stereotypical and predictable shows about catty teens, the "popular crowd" and overly tame supernatural creatures. I'm also a huge wimp when it comes to horror or scary movies, so it can be rather challenging to find a show or movie that I can truly enjoy and become engrossed in.
As a self-identified nerd, I can find it hard to relate to a lot of the more mainstream shows or movies, that's why I get lost in a wave of giddy excitement when I find the perfect nerdy franchise. That's not to say that these shows for nerds can't be popular, quite the opposite often times; its just that they are unique and thoughtful and nuanced and oh-so-wonderful. A lot of my favourites I wasn't exposed until quite recently, but to be fair, I spent most of my younger years with my nose in a book and when I did turn on the tube it was generally to watch an adaptation of a classic novel or the Discovery Channel. Now I'm pretty much caught up with many series, so I've been searching for new (or new to me) nerdy goodness to enjoy.
![]() |
| It's a three patch problem... |
Here is a list of the show/movies that I love to watch (in no particular order):
- Sherlock BBC (What is it like in your funny little brains? It must be so boring!)
- The Big Bang Theory (Bazinga! So many references to science and nerd culture it's fantastic, and of course Sheldon Cooper...)
- Murdoch Mysteries (a very inventive show where a 19th Century Toronto police detective/amateur inventor solves baffling crimes and encounters many of the most influential figures of the time such as Nikola Tesla, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Harry Houdini, Alexander Graham Bell and Winston Churchill.)
- Game of Thrones (incredible show and great, albeit very lengthy, books. I have so many wild theories about what direction this saga is going to take. I just wish G. R. R. Martin wasn't so ruthless in his killing of some of my favourite characters, and that he would cut down the 5 year gaps between the novels...)
- Firefly (grrr... why FOX why?! One season just isn't enough.)
- Harry Potter (I adore the books, love the movies, spend hours on Pottermore even though I'm too old for it...)
- Lord of the Rings (I can't believe how intricate these movies are! There are so many little details, so much effort put into truly creating an entire other world. Also, I watched all three extended movies in one day...)
- Suits (the tales of a brilliant young lawyer who never actually went to law school...)
- The Skulls (a terrifying look into the secret society of a American Ivy League college)
- Batman Trilogy (Christopher Nolan is a genius, I love that it's so gritty, no goody-two-shoes heroes here. I'm really annoyed that there are already plans for a reboot. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.)
- Spider-Man (sorry Andrew Garfield but it's gotta be Tobey Maguire all the way!)
- X-Men Franchise (even though I always notice the little inconsistencies and it drives me crazy)
- The whole Marvel/Avengers world (the best part is all the interconnected end scenes.)
- Alphas (X-Men meets CSI in this brilliant Syfy original series.)
- Touch (this is a deeply moving series even if some of the math is made up.)
- Once Upon a Time (ok, yes, sometimes the acting can be strained and the whole show boarders on overly cheesy, but I have always loved fairy tales and I am impressed at how they are able to interweave all the stories I grew up with.)
![]() |
| An edible depiction of The Einstein Approximation, one of my personal favourites. |
Now for the series I am currently exploring:
- Doctor Who (I'm only two episodes into the 2005 series, but it already seems pretty amazing. I finally realized that his name isn't Dr. Who, but Doctor ... who? *puzzled face*)
- Star Wars (I've seen the first three movies, and by that I mean the original three, so episodes IV - VI. I'm excited for the prequels,but my friend can't seem to get a hold of the DVDs...)
- The Matrix (Keanu Reeves ... I need to stop right here otherwise I will embarrass myself, but suffice it to say I had a stupid grin on my face the whole time ... so lovely, *sigh*. I've only seen the first movie and I've heard it goes down from there but the premise is so brilliant it gives me a headache.)
- Do No Harm (I'm not sure if this qualifies as nerdy, but based on the pilot episode it seems like a pretty promising adaptation of Jekyll and Hyde.)
What I would like to check out next:
- Star Trek (this is a quintessential nerdy enterprise - ha ha - and with the new movie featuring Sherlock's brilliant Benedict Cumberbatch I feel like I need to educate myself on this intergalactic series.)
- Misfits (my friend raved about this series and I have a lot of faith in British television so I'm looking forward to trying it out.)
- S.H.I.E.L.D. (I think this is still in production, but I am very excited for this Avengers spin-off, it will be interesting to see the Avengers project from another angle, as we usually are only exposed to the superhero perspective.)
- Merlin (I've heard mixed reviews about this show, and after being bitterly disappointed by the short-lived Camelot, I'm a bit nervous; but I love the King Arthur story so I think it's worth a shot.)
- Avatar the Last Airbender (I'm not exactly a fan of animated television shows, but I have heard so many great things about it that I could be tempted to test out a few episodes.)
- Downton Abbey (again, I'm not to sure how this will turn out, also not sure if it counts as nerdy, but I enjoy period dramas so I'm willing to try.)
Flaunt your inner (or outer) nerd and DFTBA!
- H
P.S. Brits really know what they are doing when it comes to entertainment; Sherlock, LotR, Harry Potter, Misfits, Merlin, Downton Abbey all have British roots.
P.P.S. There is something deliciously wonderful about a man in a long, dark coat ... Keanu Reeves as Neo (The Matrix), Kit Harington as Jon Snow (Game of Thrones) and Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock. WOW!





No comments:
Post a Comment