Sunday, 17 February 2013

Poem of the Week



This week's poem is Dreams by Langston Hughes.  It's a short and sweet one for a change, but it's message is rather powerful.  I have always believed in the power of dreams and may often be  caught lost in a daydream; to me dreams are how we come to know ourselves, how we connect with our inner longings and core beliefs, how we assess where we're at, where we've come from and where we'd like to go.  Sometimes people tell you that your dreams are foolish, ridiculous or childish, but I feel sorry for those people because they are lacking the beauty of hope in their lives.  Never stop dreaming, never stop fighting for your dreams - we only have one life to live so we should make it count and live it in a way that will leave us with no regrets about missed opportunities or lost hope.  I'd rather be happy and true to myself than successful in terms of some artificial social construct.  I hope that you hold fast to your dreams as well.  Enjoy!

Dreams

Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird
That cannot fly.

Hold fast to dreams
For when dreams go
Life is a barren field
Frozen with snow.

- H

No comments:

Post a Comment