Saturday, 19 January 2013

Rethinking the Cold


I've never exactly been partial to cold weather.  Ironic really, considering I used to be a figure skater, but arenas are climate controlled. There is no wind, no snow or flurries in an arena, and the physical exertion from flying across the ice keeps you in this odd limbo state where you are simultaneously burning hot and lose-feeling-in-your-extremeties-cold. Maybe its the workout, maybe it is the joy from doing something I loved, but I didn't mind the skating rink cold - I reveled in it.

The outdoor, exposed to the elements type cold I could really do without. There's the blisteringly windy cold, where it feels like your skin is being attacked by little barbs. There's the special type of humid cold that seems to seep into your bones and even once you find refuge inside, you feel like ice is being pumped through your circulatory system. That horrible type of cold is only rivaled by the deceptive coldness of a clear sunny day, that lures you away from your warm coats, your mittens and your scarves, with the promise of a little morsel of spring weather. It's only after you've left your house and all opportunities to add on extra layers of clothing, that you notice that you're shivering and your mouth is so numb that your words are starting to slur. You realize that it's not just a tad nippy, but truly and utterly COLD! To top it all of the brightly shining sun and blue skies seem to mock your plight.

I must confess; I have been invariably ranting about the low temperature for a good month and a half now, which is why I was completely stunned yesterday to discover that I actually appreciated the winter weather.  For alas, there was one variety of cold that I had neglected to consider. Among all the rather unpleasant types, there is also the glorious snow-cold. Not the blizzarding cold that leaves you trapped in your house unable to open the front door, or causes accidents on the freeway, or knocks out the power and leaves you rummaging around for candles and canned goods. No, I'm talking about the 
winter-wonderland snow, where it looks like everything has been powdered with confectioner's sugar, gracefully coating each tree branch and ever rooftop. It's a magnificent sight to behold and you are momentarily lost in awe for the incredible world in which we live. When I woke up yesterday, that was the sight that greeted me, and for the first time this season I was actually grateful for the snow. Forgive me for the rather clichéd statement, but it reminded me to look for the silver lining in each unappealing circumstance we face. Even the bitter cold can be beautiful...



- H 

P.S. XKCD's guide to temperatures. So funny! Spit goes "clink". *laughs*

No comments:

Post a Comment